Monday, August 11, 2008

Appendix to a Road Trip

We are done, which is good because we are two very tired kiddies. But we had a fantastic time. We hope you were entertained, because God knows we certainly were. Thanks for checking in on us!




So, here's a recap of our trip, by the numbers:
2,600+ miles traveled
11 states visited
36 different state licence plates seen
28 trucker horn honks
9 mustards sampled
41 cups of coffee drank
10 candy cane sticks licked away
2 caramel corn husks eaten
2 candy necklaces consumed
2 dress-up outfits worn
1 stint in jail (in 1880, of course)
1 queen beheaded



Free stuff we received:

French fries (Indiana)
Complimentary flat bread with spices at the Pizza and Grinders place (Chicago)
Sample of Cosi bread (Chicago)
2 cups of coffee at gas station (Indiana)
Tampon (Chicago)
Rossettes (Wisconsin)
Mustard (Wisconsin)
Cadbury egg (Wyoming)
Carrot chips (Utah)

And we did a study in gasoline prices. Utah was by FAR the most expensive at $4.15 for the 87 grade.

Hickory, North Carolina had the least expensive gas at $3.44. What a way to kick off the trip!


Here's what we found elsewhere:

Kentucky - $3.58

Indiana - $3.83

Illinois - $3.77

Wisconsin - $3.74

South Dakota - $ 3.79 and $3.85 (This was strange. All the gas was 10% ethanol, and the 87 was 10 cents more than the 89 grade at every gas station. We did not understand this.)

Wyoming - $4.05 (but this also was weird, they only had a 85 grade and 88 grade. This was the 88 price.)

5 comments:

becca said...

Hi Marcie!

I loved looking at your road trip adventure it looks like you had fun. Tell you brother congratulations and good luck in med school! You look great! You always have been a looker but you've truly turned into a beautiful woman! Keep sending your updates on your life-- I always read them! Good luck on your recent move! I'd love to know more about the guy you mentioned;)

Love, Becca and gang

Jen said...

I LOVED it! I loved the run-down on everything. I want to know how you got freebies--show a little leg? I love the updates and checking people's blogs! Take care,
Jeni Scott

The Novasio Zoo said...

Is your trip over already? We are bummed... we were having fun keeping track of your haunts!

Unknown said...

DUDE - this trip sounded amazing! Especially the mustard museum. I heart mustard.

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I googled "Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder" to find out a little about it's history and your blog came up. Ironically, my friend and I embarked on a road trip in May (East coast to West and back, north first, south last). We hit this place too in Chicago when we met up with an internet buddy I met a while back.

I started reading your blog because it was interesting to see the route you guys took, which was similar to ours. We live in PA so we took I-80 and I-90 for most of the way! And I also saw you guys hit the Corn Palace. Did you happen to stop by the visitor center in Mitchell? We saw the huge sign for it but couldn't find the visitor center because it was so small...we thought that it was like a cabin for sale or something.

Even though road trips are quite popular, it's very cool to actually see what other people saw on their trips. I know it's a bit late but thanks for putting your trip up here!

-Evan R